Sunday 30 June 2013

Free Places To Drink Cans In London Without Feeling Like A Tramp #2: Crystal Palace Festival

Something the British middle class do well is organising free arts festivals which gives them a sense of worth and belonging, or something. For me, they are mainly places to drink cans in the sun and watch some bands I'd never pay money to watch. The bands at these things are usually an eclectic mix of what the organisers probably think are cutting edge and as hip as possible without using swear words, as you know, it's actually really all about the kids.



Crystal Palace festival has been going six years now and is one of the better free festivals you'll find in London. It's a four day event taking place in many pubs and spaces in Crystal Palace, Norwood and Gipsy Hill. Loads of stuff happens over the four days; you get what you expect from a liberal arts festival including comedy events, salsa lessons, a spoken word night, food markets, jazz sessions and a heap of other stuff but the highlight of the festivities is Saturdays main festival site in Westow Park which is where it's possible to drink cans without feeling like a tramp.



Westow Park is a small beautiful park in Norwood which is surrounded by housing estates. I first came across this park whilst I was carrying out the 80 mile Capital Ring walk, it is one of many small parks in London which have been kept despite the ongoing development of every area of the capital, It's always a lovely surprise when you come across them as they seem a little out of place but are much needed for the residents of the area for a place to chill out and as an area to take the kids to play and get fresh air.



The festival site is divided into three main areas; the kids zone, the food court and the main stage zone. There are three bars on the site; one run by The White Hart pub serving real ale, one selling cocktails and one selling mostly cider. The festival site starts at 11am and finishes at 6pm so there is only a limited amount of drinking time so get there early and make the most of it. I arrived at around 12.30pm as I thought I should listen (a little) to my barbers advice that he imparted earlier that morning after he'd cut my hair; "Don't drink too much at that festival thing." Aye, right.



By the time I got to Westow Park the sun was beaming down on the early revellers and though I tried (and managed) to hold myself back from opening a can of beer my eyes kept wandering to the cider tent which was set up by the main stage. I held off for around three and a half minutes but the lure of taking part in the great British tradition of drinking a cold cider in the hot sun whilst watching bands in a field was too much to withstand. I may not have been in a muddy field in Somerset having paid £200 for a ticket and surrounded by smelly people with dreadlocks but this was the next best thing. Actually it was probably better, I could go home to bed when I'd had enough. I ordered a Black Dragon cider and one of the bar man asked "who's drinking Black Dragon at this time?" he then congratulated me on my choice, shook my hand and wished me luck for the day. What the fuck did he mean?



The compere at these type of events are always the same; slightly camp, extravagant, middle aged, middle class white males who think they're the funniest people on the planet, or at least in their particular suburb. I wondered what would happen if you collected all the comperes of these arts festivals around Britain and put them all in a room to talk to each other till there was only one man left standing. I'd think that the room would implode in a fire ball of pretentiousness, self-righteousness and wankiness. I needed another drink so opened a can of Bombardier and poured it into the plastic glass I'd got with the cider; though it is acceptable to drink cans at places like this (and plenty of others were) it's nice to portray yourself as having a sense of decorum so a glass is always a nice touch.



If, like me, you regularly attend free festivals in London you will have noticed two guys who dress in the same clothes (including caps and sunglasses) as each other and dance by the main stage to whatever music is playing. They have choreographed dance moves and are a joy to watch for a few minutes. It's great to see people who don't give a shit what others think about them (as I'm sure most people will be laughing at them) and are just having a bloody good time. That's what festivals and the British summer should be about.



The bands at these places are really an afterthought; it shouldn't matter who's playing, it just matters that people have gone to the effort of organising the event and that bands and artists have shown up to play for free. But I'll give a brief run down of some the acts I saw. Civil Love were a rather crap nondescript indie band but they seemed to enjoy themselves. Offbeat South were pretty cool, rap pop type thing, a bit like N*E*R*D. For some reason throughout the set the singer was wearing a rucksack; the can drinkers transportation device of choice, so though it seemed a little strange to me that he couldn't be bothered taking his bag off his shoulders whilst singing I'll give him extra kudos for representing the drinking class. Breezy Lee was a nice, soulful singer somewhere between Amy Winehouse and Gwen Stefani. The Hornets were an instrumental funk horn led band who were pretty cool. Hallouminati were a gypsy-esque sounding band who weren't gypsies. They have a song called 'You Promised MeMoussaka' which I'm sure most people can relate to. The headliners were Metamono who were a Kraftwerk rip off. Strange choice for a headliner as the crowd had nicely warmed up by that point and then just looked confused and didn't know what to do with themselves.



The sun makes everything better in England and the music really didn't matter, Robin and I drank cans and lay about in the sun, ate a hog roast sandwich (other food available; jerk chicken, kebabs, Brazilian food, dim sum, posh burgers, posh fucking hot dogs (how did hot dogs get everywhere!? Absolutely, every, fucking, where. I saw an ice cream van selling them the other day. Ice cream vans should only sell ice cream and drugs.) and loads more) had an ice cream, drank some more cans. I even got offered the obligatory spliff whilst I was waiting for Robin. By the time I'd drank my eighth can I knew what the bar man in the cider tent had meant earlier in the day when he wished me luck. How the hell was I going to find my way back home? Standing up seemed too much of an effort at that point, I wanted to lie in that field forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment